Wednesday 30 April 2008

Intuitive Response

I'm sat here at work ploughing through some horribly mundane media management, and I've got my iPod on. Right now, I'm listening to the David Allen Series: Getting Things Done Faster. I'm paying it attention and listening, but I'm not giving it 100% until I get to this. And it made me sit up and take note.

"I'm going to model what it's like to only think once a week. I only think about once a week. It's true, cos when I think, I really think. I go through every single loop in my life, I go through every single thing that needs to be done, I park the results in system that I trust I'll absolutely see at the right time and the right place. You see most people are thinking about how they should be thinking about what they should be thinking about but they never actually finish what they're thikning about so they live in angst. Instead of just thinking "Hey get the thinking done". Then you go out and intuitively respond.


One of my coaches was a Miami Dolphin's Super Bowler, and we traded coaching [...], so when he started to get this, he said David, guess what? Guess where the last place in the world is where you have the ability to think. In the field. You need to have thought all week, and get ready and train, and get ready and train, and get the responses and think options. Cos when the whistle blows and you're out there, anyone who thinks is dead. You have to be free to intuitively respond."

Nothing could be truer of the game.

-B

No comments: